Join City Year for Martin Luther King Jr Day of Service
John McDonogh Projects:
- Building 6 Trashcan Covers
- Building 4 Benches
- Repainting the entire Cafeteria
- Painting 12-20 Murals (murals that will represent all the career tracks currently offered at JMcD, i.e. culinary arts, hospitality management, etc., and local colleges available to students on the academic track.)
- Creating a Garden where the buses let students off
There is enough service for approximately 70-80 people, if Taylor/the RSD comes through with the money. If not, we have not gotten the necessary supplies to build & paint what Taylor wants from us.
Armstrong Family Services
Volunteers will be working at a house on St. Claude in which they house temporarily homeless families. Armstrong will provide supplies. Service will include painting trim around windows, doors, and base boards; staining a banister; installing cabinet handles and socket covers; outside cleanup.
Harmony House Senior Center
This is a senior center located at 2401 Esplanade Ave.
Service includes painting three entrance ramps to the center. Center has agreed to provide paint and brushes. Service for 4 volunteers
Cindy’s Little Scholars
This is a daycare center located at 1504 N. Broad. Service includes playground cleanup (primarily raking and planting flowers), and possibly painting touchup if Cindy’s can acquire paint. Service for 4 volunteers
Pray the Word, Say the Word
This is a Church located at 2303 Columbus St. Service includes mopping and waxing the floor, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, raking the backyard, moving furniture into two sheds in the backyard, reorganizing two (small) storage closets and a bookshelf, touch up painting (if she can get paint), and helping with the wording on flyers for upcoming events. Service for 8 volunteers
Krescent City Kids Learning Academy
A daycare center/pre-school located on 1800 O.C. Haley Blvd. Service includes painting murals, bike path, signs on the front of the building w/ train logo, picking up trash in parking lot, repainting parking space lines, planting a garden. Service for approximately 30 volunteers
Extra projects include:
- Making Valentines to distribute to St. Margaret’s Nursing Home and the Children’s Hospital
- Assembling 200 Hygiene kits for the N.O. Mission
- Writing “I have a dream” letters to students, i.e. I have a dream for you to graduate high school, etc.
- We’ll also have volunteers repaint canvas murals, as long as we have the supplies & space to do so. The murals are already sketched, most are designed for younger age groups. If we do this, we’ll need schools to give the murals to.
The NO AIDS Task Force HIV testing van will also be available for students, volunteers, and community members to get free HIV testing. It’ll be parked in front of JMcD. We’ll probably have a group of volunteers going around passing out flyers day of or doing some kind of public relations activity for the testing services that will be available.
contact Meg for more details
City Year Louisiana
504-339-0920 | email@example.com